Glamdring

Shannon McKenna
Progress: 56/453 pages
The Tiger Prince
Iris Johansen

Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson Series #7)

Frost Burned - Patricia Briggs
*Spoiler free review*

Coyote never loses, Coyote told me. Because I change the rules of the games my enemies play. What are the rules of your game?

Unlike many other sequels that have disappointed me over the last year or so, this book didn’t. The only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is because of the lose ends Patricia Briggs left in the plot. That being said, if you are a fan of the series you shouldn’t be disappointed by it. I also would like to say that I am happy I haven’t read the spoilerish blurb before I picked up the book, it would just have spoiled the first chapters. :/

I was going to fight vampires, and my name wasn't Buffy - I was so screwed.

For those who doesn’t know the series, Mercedes “Mercy” Thompson is a coyote shapeshifter. She was raised in Bran's Pack. The Marrok. The alpha of North Americans werewolves and she is presently mated to Adam Hauptman, the very charismatic alpha of the Columbia Basin Pack.

There are big bad wolves all over the world who tremble at the sound of his name, yet a little puny coyote girl peanut-buttered the seat of Bran Cornick’s car because he told her that she should wear a dress to perform for the pack.

A thing I love in this series, and this book didn’t disappoint, is that even though trouble seems to love her, Mercy isn’t a reckless heroine nor a damsel in distress. Also, she may be mated to a powerful werewolf alpha but she stands on her own.

I was going to have to come up with a rank for myself besides Alpha's mate. In the pack, I was just Mercy- but if ten more people called me the Alpha's mate, I was going to hit someone. It sounded like a chess move.

It was like triage. Decision one - preserve those who were safe. Decision two - retrieve the rest. Decision three - make the ones who took them regret it.

Another thing I love in this series is Adam-Mercy relationship. There is little smut in this series/book but their relationship is hot. I love how they argue and banter. And icing on the cake, for the first time in the series, in this book we have 2 chapters with Adam POV.

Don’t fuss. I love you just as you are, Mercy. I don’t need to swallow you whole, I don’t need to be in your head at all times. I just need to know that you’re there.

“I love you,” he said.
“I know,” I told him seriously. “How could you help it?”

"Do they always flirt with biblical quotes?" Asil asked Tad.
In long-suffering tones, Tad said, "They can flirt with the periodic table or a restaurant menu. We've learned to live with it. Get a room you guys."

The book is action packed from the very beginning. However, halfway through part of the plot was solved but what was left of it was a bit fuzzy. (view spoiler) That being said, I really appreciated that Patricia Briggs didn’t compromise on what Adam had to do.

Besides the action, this book has emotional as well as funny moments. I missed Bran but beside the participation of Zee, Tad and Stefan, I liked the introduction of Asil, the witty dialogs and Marsilia’s AMG episodes were hilarious.

All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.