Glamdring

Progress: 56/453 pages
The Tiger Prince
Iris Johansen

Hot Head

Hot Head (Head #1) - Damon Suede This is the second m/m romance book I've read, the first one written by a male author. You can feel straight away the male touch, and at first I wasn't sure I liked it, but finally, and even though I didn't like the way he refers to the doneness of meat to describe the color of some body parts, the slightly "rawer on the edge" style has some charm. So, if you fancy to try this book, persevere beyond the first 2 or 3 chapters.The story begins the day of the tenth anniversary of the attack on the World Trade Center. The two heroes are firefighters who work in the same firehouse. They are also best friends for ages. In fact, they practically grew up together.The author describes very well New-York's atmosphere and the firefighters universe. But we are so much in Griff's head that often while reading, I was surprised that the book is actually written in the third person POV. I found that it not only creates lengths, Griff who disparages himself and wails again and again over his "impossible love" for Dante, but also an imbalance because ultimately we learn very little about Dante who also spends parts of the book avoiding Griff.Until then, Griff and Dante are not only straights but very heterosexually active (specially Dante) and the exploration (especially that of Griff) of their homosexuality is addressed in a touching way. However, I'm not sure I enjoyed the sex scenes to speak of, because as much the author managed to share New-York's atmosphere, the stress associated with homophobic behaviors, some ill-being, as much I found that those specific parts lacked emotion. And if it's obvious that they care deeply for each other, I never felt the strong emotional connection that made the first m/m book I've read an outstanding story.That being said, it was an interesting book.